340g (1½ C) butter
110 g brown sugar
10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla
10 ml (2 tsp) salt
500g pastry flour
15 ml (1Tbsp) ground nutmeg
110g (½ C) butter, softened
240g icing sugar
30 ml (2Tbsp) rum
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Directions for cookies:
- Cream butter with white and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well
- Add flour, salt, and nutmeg and mix until dough forms.
- Shape into 1" or ½" balls. Place dough balls on cookie sheets and make thumbprint wells into cookies.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely on racks. Directions for filling:
- Combine butter, icing sugar, and rum. Pipe into cooled cookies.
- Sprinkle cookies with nutmeg.
Source: George Brown College Holiday Cookie class
- Cookies expand slightly while baking so leave some room between them.
- The cookies don't brown much on top even when fully cooked.
- The recipe for the filling made about twice as much as I used. Could probably halve the filling recipe.
- If you don't have a cake decorating bag to pipe the filling into the cookies, use a zip lock bag and cut one corner out of it.
- I used Mount Gay rum which is an amber rum. I don't know if this affects anything.
- 1C of cake flour = 1C minus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 110g=4oz, 240g=8.4oz, 500g=17.6oz, 200g=7oz
Contributed by Teresa Salter